Women’s 2018 – Coach’s Review
For the girls, the season began on the 22nd of November 2017 and finished on the 12th of August 2018. A near nine-month journey that saw the beginning of something special at Old Ivanhoe. The players developed their understanding of the rules of the game, improved their fitness levels and honed their skills, growing a tremendous amount as a group. They did this in searing heat and freezing cold, through humidity and rain.
They showed commitment levels that rivalled seasoned veterans and their dedication led them to astonishing achievements. Overall finishing second on the ladder, they won 10 games out of their 14 and had several highlights, including:
- 62 girls trained throughout the year
- Jacqueline Mitchell Hill was announced as the inaugural Captain.
- Sarah Foley kicking the team’s first ever goal
- The team’s first win in round two against Old Melbournian’s
- The team’s first 50-point win in round three against Yarra Old Grammarians, featuring seven individual goal kickers
- A heart-stopping win against Oakleigh in round five
- Knocking off top-placed Old Melbournian’s for the second time of the year, this time by 59 points, in round eight
- Securing the team’s first ever finals birth in their first season after the round twelve win over Oakleigh
- Finishing the season with a 34-point win over Aquinas, ensuring second place on the ladder
- Playing a hard-fought finals series
- Wearing the brown and white with pride all year long
The team’s work has made their club mates, family, friends, supporters, board members and of course their coaches, incredibly proud. Everyone has loved seeing how far the team has come and is eager to start it all again in season 2019.